Friday, February 23, 2018

Band-aid on a Bear Mauling, by Will

I've been hesitant to write this post, simply because of the nature of it. I'm not afraid or ashamed to say what I'm about to say, but I'm not a fan of simply adding noise to the chaos. I'm not a politician, I'm not an influential pastor, I'm a single dad who writes a couple of blogs, and is hoping to be able to make the world better. Who am I that anyone would listen? But this has not gone away, and so I need to say this.

The horrific tragedy at a school in Florida last week has once again brought an endless debate back to the forefront. First, I want to extend my deepest sympathy to the families of those who were murdered. As a parent, my heart breaks for your loss in a way it never could have before I became a dad. I hate the evil that took these young lives, and left parents and siblings grieving. I hate the evil that caused terror for so many survivors. And I am full of pride and respect for those who sacrificed themselves to protect the lives of others. I know that nothing I can say in this moment will lesson your pain, and for that I am truly sorry.

It is time for action, not on the floor of Congress, but in the communities of our nation. It is time for men to step up and act like men. It is time for fathers to be dads. It is time for men to lead, for men to actively and intentionally get involved in the lives of their children. In the words of the Apostle Paul, "Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love." (1 Corinthians 16.13-14)

Men, we have failed. We have failed our families, our schools, our communities, and our nation. We have allowed evil to take place because of our inaction. We have failed to take a stand in the defense of what is good, true, and beautiful, and allowed the enemy to slip in unopposed and devour us and all that we care about. Have we had enough yet? How many more tragedies of this magnitude will it take? Does it have to be your kid before you care?

It is time for us, as men, to act like men and take action. It is time for us to begin living for things that matter. It is time for us to invest in the lives of our children, and their friends. It is time for us to take ground back from the enemy; we must resist Him, firmly rooted in God, and begin to fight with everything we have.

The only way for true healing and change to take place is for us to actively engage. Stricter gun control laws will not change anything; raising a generation to value life, face consequences for their actions, and live with respect for others will bring lasting change. Anything short of this intentionallity is simply treating a bear mauling victim with a band-aid, it's not going to a thing.

Let us be alert, aware of the things we must fight for, and conscious of the opportunities for intentional action.

Let us be firm in our faith, connected deeply to God, sharing His gentleness, and kindness with those who meet.

Let us act like men, lead and take action, own your responsibilities, and play your part.

Let us be strong, resist evil, endure the hardships of battle, act and speak with boldness.

Let us love, reach out to the rejected, invest in the outcast.

We can make a difference if we are willing to play the man, stand firm against the enemy, and do what we have been made to do. This tragedy should never have happened, but our inaction has paved the way for it. Have we had enough? Are we going to act like men?

TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!

No comments:

Post a Comment