Saturday, November 12, 2016

The Right Way, by Will

The older I get, the more I'm starting to realize that there is a right way to do things. And the older I get, the more I appreciate the right way to do things. Properly lifting saves my knees and my back. Warming up before stretching (and actually stretching) before exercise, and then cooling down and stretching afterwards keeps me from getting sore (I'm not as young as I used to be, which a few workouts have taught me).

I'm into outdoor activities, and recently I've been focusing on the right way to do them. The first involves fire. I'm a bit of a pyro (and I'm not just saying that because it's cool). During my junior year of college the press box by the soccer field was burned down, and the following day a few people asked me if I had anything to do with it (I didn't), and I was voted most likely to start a wild fire by the class council.

When I was a teenager I had a fire pit in my parent's backyard. It was about a four foot circle, a foot in the ground, and another foot of rocks piled around the surface. In the back of my parent's yard are about two dozen massive pine trees. I used to take a couple five gallon buckets and make two or three trips back to the trees filling them with pine needles and filling the pit with them. Afterwards I would pile logs on top and then strike the match. The flames were impressive, a four foot ring, twenty feet high. The issue was fire that intense is really hot. Even once the flames had died down to a manageable level the heat was still there, and it was so hot that you couldn't sit closer than ten feet away.

Now that I'm older, and more mature, I still like fire, but I want a fire to be useful. The above method works great if you need to signal for rescue, but it doesn't work to well if you want to fellowship with some people. You properly build a fire by starting with some tinder, then you add the kindling, then some sticks, and finally logs. You let it catch gradually and build slowly. The flames aren't burn your eyebrows off massive, but in the end you have a fire that will keep you warm and allow you to be near.

The second activity involves winter. I'm not a huge fan of snow, part of that is probably from being in Northeast Ohio and dealing with lake affect snow for months on end. I've been into hiking for years now, but always put my gear away once it started to get cold. Last year I decided to try winter hiking. When I was younger the key to staying warm was putting on thicker and heavier layers. And while layering is good, I didn't do it right. I ended up with a lot of bulk, which prevented mobility, and with all of those layers you're sweating before you even get outside.

I've now started to really focus on the layers I use, trying to minimize weight and bulk, and increase warmth and mobility. Moisture wicking base layer, followed by an insulating base layer, then my mid layer for warmth, followed by my outer layer that is water proof (which also keeps the wind out). This method involves a lot less bulk, less time getting ready, and more speed and mobility on the trail.

Yesterday, Aaron wrote about the opening section of the Lord's Prayer. When Jesus responded to His disciple's request to be taught how to pray, He said to them, "Pray then in this way" (Matthew 6.9a). The following verses outline the principles that are to guide the prayers of a disciple of Christ. He doesn't say, "Repeat these phrases" this would become a repetitious ritual that doesn't serve the purpose of drawing us closer to God. It's like a fire I'd light as a teenager, intense with the right material, but lacking the time that makes it really beneficial for the long run.

The model Jesus shares displays an order that is to guide the time when spend in prayer. It begins by acknowledging God for who He is, and inviting Him to have His way in our lives and on the earth. It then moves into presenting the requests we have to God, asking Him to provide for the needs we have. It then asks that God empower us to live as He would live, and treat us as we deserve based on how we have treated others. It concludes with a request for God's protection and guidance as we go through life.

Just like how there is a right way to layer clothing for winter activities, there is a right way to pray. It isn't about the words, Jesus actually condemns the use of repetitious and showy prayer (Matthew 6.5), but about the content and attitude of our hearts. It begins with humble submission to the glory of God, it invites Him to have His way, and then requests that our needs be met. It then asks for God's help in living as He would have us live. The proper model keeps our prayers focused. It is so easy for my mind to wander during prayer. It is so easy to focus on the wrong things in my prayer time. They add unnecessary bulk and hinder my relationship with God.

There is a right way to do things. God created the world to function a certain way. He created fires to be built in a way to be effective and not overwhelming. He created the science that allows for proper layering. He gave us a model for effective prayer. I've spent a lot of time doing things the hard way, but I'm getting to the point where the hard way is too hard. I want my life to be effective in everything that I do, so that I'm able to experience more. I want my prayers to be effective so that I can grow closer to God and watch Him move in greater ways. I want to do things the right way.

TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!

No comments:

Post a Comment