Wednesday, November 30, 2016

"Just Listen" by Aaron

Most days when I arrive home from work, I walk into a fairly busy home. My two year old son will be playing with his hotwheels cars, while my wife is doing some work of her own. I love joining my son on the floor to play with his cars or hearing about the day my wife had. Recently, I came home to an empty house because my wife and son were driving home from visiting grandma that day. It was weird because it was so quiet at home and I was thinking to myself “I have so many things I could do, but really the only thing I wanted to do is relax”. I decided to go into the home office to do devotions and felt the need to BE QUIET.

I turned on some worship music very low and really tried to tune my ear to the Lord. Many times I go into devotions with my own agenda, but that day I felt like the Father really wanted me to "just listen". It took about 15 minutes for my mind to stop wandering. Initially I was thinking about work, then what I needed to do around the house, then about my wife and son. Finally, after all the distractions, my mind focused and I could feel the presence of the Lord come into the room. I love this feeling!! I honestly feel like an ant in the room when I feel the Father’s presence, and I feel like God is huge. When I feel His presence it feels as if He just wraps his arms around me and holds me. It is so awesome!!

As Bill described in a couple of his earlier posts, a group of our college guy friends have started going on an annual trip to whatever location we decide for fellowship. The focus of our fellowship has been “the masculine journey”. We have been discussing the book The Way of the Wild Heart by John Eldredge. As Bill discussed in the last post, Eldredge describes six different stages each man will go through in his life. The first stage in a young boy’s life is the “Beloved Son”. This is the stage where the young boy wants to know that he is loved and adored by his father. When I was sitting in my office I felt the Lord was saying to me, “you are my beloved son” over and over. The Lord was telling me that I was important and loved by Him. I am not a very emotional person, but I started crying from the power and comfort that was in those words.

I have been so busy with work, family, being with friends, and keeping up with my own hobbies (including things in the church) that I forget to “Just Listen” to hear what the Lord has to say to me. Prayer can be either a one or two way conversation. To be honest many times for me it is a one way conversation, and I’m always the one dominating the conversation. I feel as though the Father has many things he wants to say to me, I just need to listen. I probably only spent about 30 minutes focusing on those simple words “you are my beloved son”, but I haven’t felt that much joy, peace, hope, love, comfort all at once in in a long time.

The Father is waiting for us to join Him. He has a plan for our lives, and it is a perfect plan. I love the verse Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, plans to give you hope and a future”. If God has a plan that includes prosperity in my life, hope, and a future, then I want to know what it is. The funny thing about the Father is I’ve never known Him to give you everything all at once. I always tell people life is like a puzzle. The Lord will give you the pieces to put it together, but only if you allow him to. We have to make it a priority to find quiet time to listen to Him. Recently I have been praying that God helps me yearn to read the Word and to be in the consistent prayer with Him. I’m going to start making time to “Just Listen”, because the Father has so much He wants to give to His son. It is my job to give Him a chance to do it.

God Bless You!!

1 comment:

  1. Great post, Air! This was a reminder to sit still and listen to the Lord. I feel like I've done that well only once in my life. Could def use some practice.

    ReplyDelete