Wednesday, May 24, 2017

What are you going to read?, by Will

As each year of college ended, my professors would ask me that question a lot. I wasn't a big reader in college, I honestly don't think there was a single class I did all of the reading for, although my final semester I decided that for once I was going to do just that, and then senioritis kicked in and that plan lasted about three hours. For me, reading was something I just didn't have time for, and one professor said, "If you don't read books now, you won't read them later."

The problem I had was that everyone was telling me to read, but no one was telling me how to read. I figured I had to sit down and read for an at least an hour at a time. I've seen the shelves of many pastors and professors, how else do they work through all of the material they have? But then I was assigned a book, I think it was the spiritual disciplines one I mentioned in an earlier post, that said to set aside twenty minutes a day to read, and that made reading easy.

I have to be honest, I haven't followed that rule. I get home after an exhausting day and the last thing I feel like doing is thinking. I discovered audiobooks almost two years ago, and I'm somewhere between 110-120 titles. Currently I'm working through Business Insider's "100 Books to Read Before you Die". (http://www.businessinsider.com/100-books-everyone-should-read-amazon-goodreads-2015-3). It's a nice cross section of genres and cultures. Some of them are pretty disturbing books, and others are very delightful (Right now I'm listening to Ender's Game, and I'm hoping the book ends with closure because I don't know that I want to get into the multi volume series). The issue I'm having, is so many of them are stories that don't help me improve as a man. I don't mind, because when I'm at work I don't want to be distracted by something that I really need to focus on to understand, but I'm wanting more out of my literary experience than entertaining stories.

As part of my journey this year, I've realized that I need to be intentional about what I'm reading. The stories are fine. They are entertaining, and informative, but I don't really see them as life impacting, though some are. The issue I've really caught myself with is when I listen to the same series over and over while I'm driving just to fill the time. I've been convicted about this, and so I've decided to make a change.

This month, audible had a two for one credit sale, and so I purchased The Way of the Seal by Mark Divine, and Leaders Eat Last by Simon Sinek. This is the area I have really felt God wants to develop in me, and part of the way I can help is through intentionally spending time learning from others who have excelled in this area.

Jesus said, "And He said to him, ‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.'" (Matt. 22.37) We love God with our mind by learning. We learn by being intentional and observant. We learn by being humble and teachable.

The Apostle Paul said, "Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." (Rom. 12.1-2) We are transformed by being diligent about what we read, and by being intentional about putting into practice the things that authors have to say.

I believe God has called me to be a leader, and that means learning from others who lead well. Through the written word, I have access to leaders I would never otherwise meet. Am I willing to take the time and learn from what they are willing to share? How badly do I want to become a better leader?

What do you want to learn? There's a book on it, probably multiple books. How badly do you want to learn? Loving God with your mind means actively learning and growing. Being transformed by the renewing of your mind involves being selective about what you allow your attention to be focused on.

Take the time to read.

TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!

No comments:

Post a Comment