Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Really Live, by Will

"Every man dies, not every man really lives." -Braveheart

For a few years now I've been thinking about this question, what does it mean to really live? It is so easy to get caught up in the routine of life, get bogged down with responsibilities and obligations, that it seems as if we simply exist to do what we have to do in order to keep existing. We own houses simply to leave them for massive chunks of the day in order to go to jobs so we can pay for the house that sits empty. For years I lived in routine, hating it, and hoping some day it would simply get better, but I've learned that isn't how life works. One of the songs in my Daddy/Daughters play list, "I'll be your Man" by Zac Brown Band (my oldest daughter's favorite) says, "Go have a ball, take every chance that you may" (and when I looked up the lyrics I realized I have been singing them wrong to her, I thought it was "take every chance that you make") Living involves taking chances and embracing risks, and that is when we begin to really live.

I've played it safe for so long. I've gotten into jobs where I was afraid to make moves in the company because I was afraid of failing and losing my job. Before I was married I never really dated because I was always unsure of the girls interest level, and was too afraid to find out. I think back over all of the missed opportunities because I wasn't willing to take a chance, and looking back, that wasn't living.

Right now life is changing. I've gotten older, and wiser, and I've started to realize some things about how the world works. Due to my present situation, I'm in the position where I'm going to have to make some changes in the next few years in order to be closer to my girls. It's easier to play it safe, stay where I'm at in a comfortable job with great benefits, but if I do that, I'm not going to be around like they need me to be, and that isn't something I'm willing to do.

Everything that has happened with my divorce, as difficult as it has been, has ultimately put me in the position to take some chances, go after some dreams, really begin living out what I'm passionate about; it's put me in a position to begin really living. In no way will I be neglecting my responsibilities as a father with any of this, and I'm not at all saying you should ignore your obligations, but I am saying don't kill your heart/soul/passion for the sake of your obligations. I was talking to a friend about a job change he's considering, and for him the move would make sense, but at the same time I see how this move, if it happens, could easily turn into the safe path at the expense of his passion. As we talked I told him, "I'm behind you, but this can only be a stepping stone to get to where you can do what you're passionate about. You can't kill your heart."

The world has too many men who are not living. They ignore their passions out of a sense of duty, a sense of fear, or laziness. Men are board, and men are frustrated, because men aren't really living.

What are you passionate about? How can you fit that into your life?

What is your dream? What can you do to move towards it?

What makes you come alive? Why aren't you living?

Every one of us is going to die, but many of us die long before we are ever placed in a wooden box. Let me give you something, your dreams are good. Your passions are good. It is ok for you to pursue them, you need to pursue them. If you want to start a business, make a plan, get organized, and go for it. If you want to change career paths, update your resume, apply, and go for it. If you want to go back to school, see what schools offer the program you want, apply for scholarships and financial aid, and go for it. If you want to pick up a new hobby, research, save, and go for it. Take the chance, take the risk. Make your preparations, and always be moving closer to the moment where you can jump in, and when you get to the edge, jump.

This world needs men who are really living. God made you for life. God created you with your passions. God has placed your dreams in your heart. God is glorified when you follow them. St. Irenaeus said, "The glory of God is man fully alive." God wants you to really live; He created you to really live.

Every man dies, are you going to one who really lives?

TO GOD ALONE BE THE GLORY!

No comments:

Post a Comment